Technology has taken a strong grip over the world. It has it’s benefits, like google being the world at our fingertips, online shopping, fun movie nights, etc; but it does have an array of negative effects on children that we need to be aware of. Today’s children have grown up with a vast array of electronic devices at their fingertips. They can’t imagine a world without smartphones, tablets, and the internet.
Negative effects of screen time include:
- behavioral issues
- education issues
- sleep problems
It’s important for you to set healthy limits on your electronics use for your own sake, as well as your child’s sake.
Here are a few household rules you might want to establish to curb screen time:
- No digital devices during family meals.
- No electronics use during family fun nights.
- No screen time in the car.
- No screens allowed in bedrooms.
Healthy alternatives to screen time which can be draining and potentially harmful to children include:
- Communicate and socialize with family and friends
- Read books
- Play board games, card games, or magic tricks
- Go for a walk or bike ride
- Clean and do family chores
- Draw and be creative
- Play with play dough
- Build a fort
Let kids be kids! Play outside, take them on fun adventures, involve nature in play and learning, let them explore and let them be kids! Limit screen time and introduce the healthy alternatives, it will be so beneficial in the long run!